Sign up and join the discussion. Instant Activation Click here to register in a few simple steps.
Sign up and join the discussion. Instant Activation Click here to register in a few simple steps.

Thread Contributor: headsupdisplayTHE IRIS METHOD OF FACIAL MEASUREMENTS + DATABASE (LONG BUT IMPORTANT!!!)
Human faces are incredibly varied. Each one is unique. Comparisons between faces can usually only be done in general terms that are hard to make sense of and harder to take in any meaningful way. Saying that someone's cheeks are "flat" or there jawline is "weak" is almost pointless, since it just begs the question: "How weak? How flat? What should be done to fix that?"

What if there was a way to actually KNOW how strong the bones of the face were? What if it were possible to get accurate measurements of not just your own face, but the faces of those you would like to look like? Wouldn't that make corrections to a person's face that much easier?

But measuring your face can be difficult, and measuring the face of someone who you've never met is impossible right? At best you would need to measure a picture of the individual, and even if you had a picture of them, how would you know when the image was "life size"? In order to do it, you would need something that is present on everyone's face that is always the same size, in order to scale faces to.

Only one facial feature, the iris, fits this description.

The human iris is the only part of the body present on the face that is consistent in size to within a little over 1 millimeter. The diameter of the human iris is on average 11.71 +/- 0.42 mm (11.77 +/- 0.37 mm for males and 11.64 +/- 0.47 mm for females) with a range of about 11-12.5 mm. Because of the consistency of the human iris, if you were to take an image of a person's face and zoom in so that their iris was the average, you would in effect have a LIFE SIZE IMAGE OF THEIR FACE, of which you could measure. If you measured multiple images of a face and averaged out the results, you could get results that are accurate to within a few millimeters. Of course, with this method you could scale images of your own face to life size to take measurements.

THIS IS BIG NEWS.

This means that you can know the IPD, width of the jawline, zygomatic width - anything you want from a person's face, so long as it is visible from a frontal view of the face and compare it to others or yourself. If you wanted, say, Henry Cavill's jawline, you could measure properties of his jawline (such as the width), measure the same properties of your own face, and find the difference between the two. You could find the differences between anything really. It can essentially change how we looksmax, since we can know almost to the millimeter what changes we should make to our face.

APPLICATION

OK but how do you do it exactly? 
First, you need to find images of an individual. It is always in your best interest to collect more than one image, since the average will always be more reliable than any one measurement. The face should be facing forward, clearly visible, and of a high quality for the best results. Facial expressions in an image will skew certain measurements (smiling makes the jawline and mouth widen, they may be squinting etc.) They should be dated by the year (to keep track of any changes to the person's face as they age)

Example:
[Image: So3HNng.jpg]

Once images are collected, they should be carefully magnified such that the iris is JUST under 12mm (11.77mm to be exact), like so:

[Image: 3Xat4vj.png]

Record the zoom % of the image and the resolution of the screen used to measure (this is crucial) before measuring.
With that done, measurements can begin.
You can technically measure anything you want, but for the sake of the demonstration (and for most usefulness) the criteria you should measure are as follows:
  • IPD
  • endocanthal distance
  • vertical palpebral aperture
  • endocanthal midpoint to gnathion
  • endocanthal midpoint to stomion
  • endocanthal midpoint to subnasale
  • subnasale to stomion
  • nasal width
  • nasal tip width
  • nasal bridge width
  • zygomatic width
  • lip fullness
  • upper lip fullness
  • lower lip fullness
  • mouth width
  • width of the jawline
  • chin width
  • mandibular width (if obtainable)
A google sheets template of a chart you can use, with diagrams: 
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing

For your own face, getting pictures is relatively easy. As long as the camera being used doesn't suck, you should be able to get good enough photos for the iris method to work (I could). To take proper pictures of yourself, the same rules apply as with other people: facing forward, face clearly visible, with a high quality. The camera should be as far as possible while still allowing quality images to be taken. The best distance should be approx. arm's length away. Think of it as a mugshot. Facing forward would mean that your eyes are about level with the middle of your ears (I will go in greater detail in another post).

Good Example (an actual mugshot):
[Image: WXBYfus.jpg]

Bad Examples:
[Image: CLSbi8d.jpg]
[Image: eTNf3rN.jpg]

LIMITATIONS
Of course, there are limits and flaws with the iris method. Unfortunately, even though the iris IS consistent in size to 1.5mm, that still is enough for some faces to be slightly off, if there Horizontal Visible Iris Diameter (HVID) is on the larger or smaller end of the scale. Statistically, there is a 32% chance that any one individual lies outside 1 standard deviation from the mean and a 5% chance that they are 2 standard deviations from the mean (no one measured in any studies fell more than 2 SDs from the mean). There is very little difference in measurements when the scaling is off by 1 SD (approx. 0.4mm) but there still is a 1/20 chance that any one individual will be off by enough to affect the measurements collected. Due to the nature of magnification, longer measurements (like the width of the jawline) will be skewed more than smaller ones (like the palpebral aperture). Further, it's impossible to tell which person is 2 SD from the mean, nor can you tell whether they are 2 SD above or below it, so you can't know what corrections to make even if you somehow knew you were wrong.

However, there is a 95% chance that the measurements for a person are accurate to a few mm (even dead on in most cases).

Angles
The angle of the picture also affects some measurements, and makes some impossible to reliably collect. Keep these in mind:
  • If the person is facing the left or the right, cheek, jaw, and in some cases even IPD measurements cannot be collected
  • If the person's face is tilted up, the chin will appear longer and the distance from the eyes to the nose will shrink, and vise versa. The jaw may also be exaggerated if the face is tilted up. The palpebral aperture widens when the head is tilted down and shrinks when the head is tilted up if the person is looking at the camera.

Quality and Lens Distortion
Low quality images skew results. The lower the resolution, the harder it is to accurately magnify an image and the less reliable the measurements become. Faces that are close to a camera will appear to be warped. The cheeks and jawline will become smaller than they really are, and the chin may be exaggerated. Images should always be taken/used so that the effects of lens distortion are close to 0.

Expressions
Facial expressions also alter the face. Look out for the following:
  • People's mouths nose, nasal tip and jawline widen when they smile. If you want to record the width of a smile you can still do so but the measurement should be specified (google sheets ignores cells with letters in formulas, so putting an "s" after a smiling measurement will keep it out of the average. Cheeks may also widen, though this is rare. Some people also smile with their eyes, reducing the palpebral aperture.
  • Squinting will reduce the palpebral aperture. Squinting or widened eyes should be specified with a letter. 
  • If the mouth is open, or if the teeth are visible, measurements from the endocanthal midpoint to the mouth or chin are impossible. Lip measurements are also impossible. Closed smiles do not effect this however.
It is also important that body fat levels will affect the measurements. A person's face will blow up with their fat.

DATA MANAGEMENT
Now that you have measurements of a face, it is important that you compare that face with others. In order to get as much meaning out of the measurements as possible, you have to see how they stack up to the measurements of others. You won't be able to know if a 11cm jawline is wide or narrow if you don't know the measurements of other 11cm, 12cm, or 13cm jawlines. Not only that, there would need to be a way to check that the measurements are as trustworthy as possible.

In order to do that, I made a sort of master chart for any facial measurements available:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing

Every image used in the chart would need to be confirmed to have both a direct link to the image used for the measurement, the size and dimensions of the monitor used, and the zoom % used for the image, so that measurements could be checked by others easily. The best quality images are usually copyrighted, but if preview images are available they can always be used, with the link to the image on the site used as a source. The best places to find images are alamy.comdreamstime.com, and shutterstock.comgetty.com doesn't allow images to be downloaded for free, so to avoid copyright images from getty should be avoided. If anyone has any submissions or complaints about any measurements, they should be sent to me via PM to be corrected.

MEASUREMENTS WITHOUT A SOURCE, MONITOR SIZE (BOTH RESOLUTION AND DIAGONAL MEASUREMENT) AND ZOOM % SHOULD BE DISREGARDED.

With that, we can begin measuring models and celebrities accurately provided we have quality images and source our work. Good luck looksmaxing!

Database of Human Faces (I will continue to update it with new faces as I can): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing

Sources:
 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15778595
https://www.clspectrum.com/issues/2005/august-2005/techniques-for-improved-soft-lens-fitting

-EDIT-
I also added a way to check if your measurements are correct: the Inaccuracy Table on my DB. 
After you finished your measurements, copy the avg measurements into the specified space and the sheet will show you sets of measurements had your iris been different sizes, as well as the probabilities of those measurements being true. The one with the IPD measurement closest to your IPD irl is the one that is accurate. 
Using this, you can change your measurements form being likely to being CERTAIN, so EVERYONE can know what their measurements are. 

Unfortunately I can't confirm the measurements of other ppl, so the measurements of the celebrities will usually have the IT included with them if you or I think that the measurements may be skewed due to the iris. Good luck

I'll give the names of every face I use here, info needs to be easy to access

I only have one objective: to find what makes someone attractive. I want to share what I have learned with others and maybe learn something in the process. Good luck Looksmaxing

DATABASE OF FACIAL MEASUREMENTS (Men)

MEASURING YOUR FACE FROM A PICTURE (What to do and how it works)

MEASURING CHART W/ INACCURACY TABLE

Almond Eye Surgery (Make your eyes DEEP SET)

Various Jaw Implant Results (Chin and Jawline Augmentation)

This Guy's Cheek Implant Results

PSL Myths
-FWHR and every other RATIO  -"skull size" (conflating the face with the cranium)
-browridges being important    -antefaces and "muh maxilla"
-eye hooding being important  -canthal tilts and long canthi making a difference (unknown tbh)
-"harmony" and "aesthetics"    -legitimate mass. hypertrophy being attractive (just get implants ffs tmj is no joke)
Content prohibited from guest view. Click here to register.

300 mg/w testosterone E
1 mg/w anastrozole
35 mg/w finasteride

I only have one objective: to find what makes someone attractive. I want to share what I have learned with others and maybe learn something in the process. Good luck Looksmaxing

PSL Myths
-FWHR and every other RATIO  -"skull size" (conflating the face with the cranium)
-eye hooding being important  -canthal tilts and long canthi making a difference (unknown tbh)
-"harmony" and "aesthetics"    -legitimate mass. hypertrophy being attractive (just get implants ffs tmj is no joke)

PSL Myths

PSL Myths

PSL Myths

PSL Myths

You can go to the moon, invent a cure to every known disease and eliminate global poverty and still be regarded as creep by roasties.

You can be villainous murderer, baby killer and drug lord and still be considered "just perfext x0x0x".

What you accomplish means nothing. Sub 6 PSL = death

You can go to the moon, invent a cure to every known disease and eliminate global poverty and still be regarded as creep by roasties.

You can be villainous murderer, baby killer and drug lord and still be considered "just perfext x0x0x".

PSL Myths