Sign up and join the discussion. Instant Activation Click here to register in a few simple steps.
Sign up and join the discussion. Instant Activation Click here to register in a few simple steps.

Thread Contributor: ChangeGlycolic Acid - as good as Tretinoin?
This is a lazy post. 

But my skin-doc said glycolic acid is better / same good as Tretinoin.

Gotta research this
https://www.google.at/search?q=glycolic+...e&ie=UTF-8

Hm, seems glycolic acid is a bit milder / less effective

I reject this totally. I used to live in So Cal and tons of women in the 35-45 range have this awful... weird look to their skin. Like, it's kind of shiny, and firm to boot. But it also looks alien and awful. All of them were frequently doing chemical peels. It looks great after the first few. But do 6+ a year for 5+ years and witness the weirdness.

I know there's more than one chemical peel type, but glycolic is far and away the most popular.

(Yesterday, 02:59 AM)Vitriol Wrote: He broke her heart and she broke his HTPA.

So chemical peels are not recommended to skin max?
(05-18-2018, 07:14 AM)incellord1 Wrote: So chemical peels are not recommended to skin max?

Retin-A is recommended to skin max

Everything else is cope
(05-18-2018, 03:22 AM)TheGreatCornholio Wrote: I reject this totally. I used to live in So Cal and tons of women in the 35-45 range have this awful... weird look to their skin. Like, it's kind of shiny, and firm to boot. But it also looks alien and awful. All of them were frequently doing chemical peels. It looks great after the first few. But do 6+ a year for 5+ years and witness the weirdness.

I know there's more than one chemical peel type, but glycolic is far and away the most popular.

Could you post a picture for example?

nobody cares about me
(05-18-2018, 07:16 AM)Hāfucel Wrote: Retin-A is recommended to skin max

Everything else is cope

I tried Retin A for over a month and at first my skin felt tighter but didn't improve it as such. After the first week or so my skin started peeling a little and I thought that was supposed to make a difference but didn't really.
Is it just not as great as everybody says it is or should I have waited longer?

[Image: tumblr_mtgueatUSj1s1zil8o1_500.gif]
I'm 4-5 months into Retin-A (tretinoin) and my skin is still shit tier, full of acne.

[Image: dsc.png]
(05-20-2018, 07:06 AM)uglyboy Wrote: I'm 4-5 months into Retin-A (tretinoin) and my skin is still shit tier, full of acne.

I think I'm at 2 months + now and same, still shit tier acne 

But I read that you're supposed to wait 6 months for the skin to start getting better @idonotexist

I'm patient enough for that tbh, winning at life is all about deferral of gratification anyway
My skin looked better on retin-a after about 2 months. I continued to see improvements for about 6-8 months. I wasn't suffering from bad acne though. I started using it when I was 26 I believe. but it made me horribly photosensitive. I was getting light sunburns from walking from my car into a building 1/3 of km away. Even 5 minutes was doing it, and even with sunscreen, I couldn't handle more than 30 minutes of direct sunlight.

But I was also using .1 every single day. I now know I should have been using 0.025 every 3 days. My derm was an old kook.

(Yesterday, 02:59 AM)Vitriol Wrote: He broke her heart and she broke his HTPA.

(05-20-2018, 12:35 PM)Hāfucel Wrote: I think I'm at 2 months + now and same, still shit tier acne 

But I read that you're supposed to wait 6 months for the skin to start getting better @idonotexist

I'm patient enough for that tbh, winning at life is all about deferral of gratification anyway

Idk, so I don't have bad acne or anything, just a few light scars that just won't go and the occasional few pimples. My derm had prescribed nicotinamide and clindamycin gel. Which worked pretty alright. But didn't help the scars. Works as spot treatment.
So I gave up on retin a and went back to what worked better for me.

Was considering microdermabrasion (well I was considering a chemical peel actually but on second thoughts that might be a bit too much and I'm not sure how safe it is). 
Anybody know anything about this?

Tried PMD and dermaroller, both of them ruined my skin 

Made my scars bigger and deeper instead of helping them heal
(05-21-2018, 04:50 AM)Hāfucel Wrote: Tried PMD and dermaroller, both of them ruined my skin 

Made my scars bigger and deeper instead of helping them heal

Scary.
Microdermabrasion was my only hope. I was actually counting on it. Isn't it always safer and just more effective professionally done? Maybe it was the way you used it?

Maybe 

My skin has always been very sensitive to scarring though, you may be different
That sucks I have the same Shit only very light Akne if at all 

But I have small scars and big pores that I need to fix
Why reinvent the wheel? Tret has been proven to work well even if it does have serious side effects. After a 6mo. high dose cycle of isotret my acne has drastically reduced. Most of my acne flare-ups now are not big pimple overgrowth but just slight redness with minimal facial protrusion. 

If you can get it, I highly recommend a cycle of isotret if you really want to minimize acne esp. if you are younger.