Sign up and join the discussion. Instant Activation Click here to register in a few simple steps.
Sign up and join the discussion. Instant Activation Click here to register in a few simple steps.

Thread Contributor: myster_meat_puaYou need ortho surgery BEFORE implants
repost from PSL:

great post from missJ explaining why a BSSO might need to precede implants (chin wings go here too, which aren't as versatile as implants, but still a great procedure for someone who is cautious of "synthetic" materials)

http://messageboards.makemeheal.com/chin...64-15.html

This is probably a large contributing factor to why many implant results look strange. You are attempting to add width and volume to recessed jaws.

It is almost a certainty that someone with a weak jawline has a recessed jaw(s). This has little to do with "ANDROGENIC MASC DOM" nonsense, as evidenced by the great deal of attractive feminine women who have clearly defined and projecting jawlines despite holding significantly more bodyfat than young male who is in shape.

On the BSSO and/or bimax (BSSO + LF1)... it must be understood that the BSSO is a LIMITED procedure! People research this shit like its hair styling, the bimax or BSSO alone, moves chiefly in ONE DIRECTION with the possiblity of some rotation. It is not something that has a great deal of variables to choose from. Your surgeon will probably entertain your notions, but at the end of the day, he is limited to the movement the operation provides, and what he knows to be safe and stable. The BSSO does not widen the jaw although it can give that illusion from the front because the jaw is now forward projected. 

I certainly understand the desire to shit on orthognathic surgery and just get the "one and done" approach of custom implants, as i used to do this myself, but I understand now it will not work out as favorably as if you had gone down the long road. The good news is if your bite and occlusion is relatively normal despite recession, you can probably have surgery done first, then braces, which dramatically cuts down on the amount of time. I've also been told by a surgeon that bimax and chin wing can be performed at the same time - this is something worth investigating because with the use of hip grafts a surgeon can not only give you the forward projection of the bimax procedure, but give you drop down and widening at the same time.

o  Be aware that most plastic surgeons will tell you that your "jaws are fine" simply because your bite is functional. But having a normal bite =/= adequate jaw growth. Indeed, like me, you can have a class 1 bite and straight teeth but various other dentofacial deficits.

Always try to see a maxfac, they tend to be more honest because they can and usually do both (orthognathic surgery and facial implants). Alternatively use a reliable analysis service like AMF.
Content prohibited from guest view. Click here to register.

Content prohibited from guest view. Click here to register.